- Independent readers participate in the Accelerated Reader / Rainbow Readers Programs
- Accelerated Reader is a computer-based assessment technology used to enhance reading skills. AR Reading Practice quizzes assess students’ comprehension of books they have read.
- Classroom teachers establish each child's reading range and quarterly goals based on the STAR reading assessment. The Zone for Proximal Development (or ZPD) provides a reading range that research has shown produces the maximum progress in reading
- Most books in the Media Center with AR quizzes have been identified with round, color-coded labels on the spine of the book indicating the reading level (the color-code keys are displayed throughout the media center).
- Inside the front cover, another label indicates the Book Level (BL), Point Value (Pts) and Quiz Number.
How to take an AR Test
Upon completion of the quiz, students are given immediate feedback with the results and the opportunity to see what questions they got wrong. All students should be encouraged to look at the questions they got wrong.